Lovejoy is pleased to announce it has redesigned its S-Flex Shear Type coupling product to make it the highest quality and longest lasting offering available in the marketplace. Lovejoy engineers reconfigured the material and have delivered a new and improved, longer lasting EPDM rubber sleeve. Lovejoy is introducing the redesigned product as “S-Flex Endurance™ Couplings” to signify the increased longevity and other performance improvements. The product launches today, July 1, 2019 and inventory is stocked at both Lovejoy and PTplace warehouses. The product launch coincides with a new Lovejoy branded packaging design, to identify it within the Timken family of products.
Shear type or sleeve type couplings originated in the 1950s and is a popular choice for pump and other uniform load applications where it gained early acceptance and has grown across many industries including wastewater, paper/pulp, marine, power, and steel.
The shear type coupling is a very simple design and is comprised of two flanges and one sleeve. The torque is transmitted through the twisting of the elastomeric sleeve. The shear type coupling virtually eliminates the load on bearings and shafts and is excellent with vibration dampening. As with other elastomeric couplings, it is a low maintenance and non-lubricated coupling option.
The reconfigured S-Flex Endurance coupling design has undergone extensive dynamic cycling testing by Lovejoy. The results of this testing prove the new and improved S-Flex Endurance EPDM material provides higher performance and enhanced durability than its previous iteration and is now the best performing brand available in the marketplace, lasting at least three times longer than before.
S-Flex Endurance sleeve’s static and dynamic torsional stiffness tested at least 30% greater than the former Lovejoy material and outperformed the current competition. The Lovejoy product operated with more resilience and consequently less heat build-up than the previous material as well as the competitive products. Furthermore, post-test inspections showed the new sleeves are very durable under these extreme test conditions, as they maintained their tooth shape and displayed minimal wear.
Improved EPDM’s S-Flex Endurance Sleeve material “key” features:
- Durability – Lovejoy estimates the new and improved material will be able to last at least three times longer than before. A longer service life is provided even at higher torque ratings. There is also a noticeable abrasion resistance improvement.
- Resilience – The rebound characteristics are significantly improved. The new Lovejoy sleeve material absorbs less frictional heat than the current competition. This heat build-up advantage leads to less wear and minimizes the possibility of coupling failure.
- Strength – The higher torsional stiffness corresponds with the elastomer’s overall increased toughness (tensile strength and tear strength). This allows many applications to use a smaller, less expensive coupling and still achieve the same torque rating.
- Heat Resistance – The sleeve’s temperature rises during operation due to the hysteretic behavior of rubber. The new sleeves exhibited fast heat dissipation and maintained a lower temperature than the competition at the same dynamic cyclic test conditions. The decrease in heat generation leads to a longer service life.
- Recovery – Resistance to permanent deformation as well as its elastic recovery has improved.
The new and improved S-Flex Endurance coupling will continue to work well on electric motor driven applications with uniform loads such as centrifugal pumps, blowers and fans, screw compressors, some conveyors, line shafts, and vacuum pumps.
Product UPCs have remained unchanged so components can be ordered with the same codes customers are accustomed to using. S-Flex Endurance product specifications and catalogs are available on www.lovejoy-inc.com.