Jaw In-Shear Type Couplings
- 2° angular misalignment capability
- .030” - .047” parallel misalignment capability
- 50D shore Urethane material — max. temperature of 200°F (93°C)
- Torsional wind-up of 5° at full load
- Retaining ring is made from #347 cast stainless steel
- Can be used with AL-type aluminum Jaw coupling hubs for sizes AL090/ 095, AL099/100 and AL110 (Stainless steel hubs can be made-to-order as well)
The Jaw In-Shear Coupling is non-fail safe, and thus the coupling acts as a fuse to prevent equipment damage in the event of torque overloads. Instead of the spider being compressed in between the interlocked jaws of each hub, our In-Shear coupling has the hubs drawn apart with the jaws aligned axially. The wider spider is then in a shear-plane.
The Jaw In-Shear Spider is radially removable, meaning that neither hub (or driver/driven equipment) has to be moved to make replacements of the Spider. This saves time and money in maintenance costs. The retaining ring which encloses the In-Shear Spider has three small nubs which simply slide into J-shaped grooves in the perimeter of the Spider and twist-lock into place. This feature has a Patent Pending. It will not work its way loose and since there are no fasteners involved, the maintenance and removal of the Spider takes only a few minutes. A second patent is pending for the In-Shear spider in use with Lovejoy straight sided Jaw Hubs. Lovejoy’s new In-Shear Spider is used with our industry-standard L-Type and C-Type Jaw Coupling hubs which provides another added convenience — no need to stock different hubs just for this new design of elastomer. Existing applications using in-compression spiders can simply be retrofitted with the new In-Shear Spider if the features are beneficial. The Jaw In-Shear Spider is made from a tough Urethane formula which provides the best combination of durability, chemical resistance, temperature range, and torsional softness. The hubs it is used with go up to a maximum bore of 4.00” (102mm).
Common applications for the Lovejoy Jaw In-Shear Coupling include: electric motors to centrifugal pumps, fans, blowers, gear boxes, and plastic extruding machinery. It solves many maintenance problems in industries like pulp & paper, petrochemical, mining and steel.
- Non-fail safe, radially removable elastomer coupling
- Utilizes the standard Lovejoy L and C Type hub design
- Max Bore: 9 inches (229 mm)
- Max Nominal Torque: 183,333 in-lbs (20714 Nm)